Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Who are you?? Who am i??? I'm lonesome hero

Who am i?

No, i'm not going to say i am legend just like Will Smith did in his movie. I'm just a John Doe but not the one from the TV series starring Dominic Purcell. A John Doe from Portugal.

I am a lonesome hero, thirty ( unbelievable ) years old, sports/PE teacher that currently is looking for work.
Living in Portugal ain't easy at all, although i love the country that saw me growing up into who i am today. Due to a series of episodes too complicated to explain now, Portugal has become a difficult place to live in. The wages are just too low and don't correspond to tax increases and the high life cost that has been troubling this country lately.

I started this blog because my mind is usually wandering in a million of places, especially now that i'm unemployed and i usually have these self-destructive thoughts that easily break my attention and even self-esteem. So i thought i could get a therapeutic help from the exercise of writing.

I love asian culture and especially Chinese culture, ever since i was a tiny little lot and watched my first Bruce Lee movie, Enter the Dragon. This infatuation has brought me three times to Hong Kong, a place i dreamt of visiting a very long time ago. I've already tried to find jobs in Hong Kong, but so far it hasn't been easy. I know a bit of Cantonese, fruit of my three trips to Hong Kong and a failed relationship with a girl from there.

what will i write about?

Mostly about Portugal, about normal life and news that are currently headlines in the newspapers here. But i won't be always talking about Portugal itself, my life and my feelings are also going to be written here, especially how i handle the pression of being another unemployed teacher in my country and my quest for a teaching job position not only in Portugal, but also overseas. Hopefully, this blog can become a source of inspiration for all the people out there in the same situation as me.

Who knows...one day, i could even be declared a Hero...just like the name i've chosen for this blogspot.

Are you really a hero?

Sorry to disappoint everyone but i don't have any superpowers, although i would fancy a lot some special X-ray vision or at least some invisibility. At least i could be a voyeur hero but i guess i would be some sort of dislike for the feminine public.
What i want is to be a hero, a role model to society and children mostly. That's why i chose to be a teacher in the first place. I feel very frustrated for not being able to do what i love most, which is to TEACH.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Good luck getting a teaching job! One of the saddest things is a teacher without a class, in my opinion. I was unemployed for two months back in September and reconnecting with students was one of the greatest feelings I've ever had! Keep your hopes up; i'm sure something good will come for you.

Huguito said...

Ola from Portugal :-)!!! I'm struggling everyday to keep myself positive about it, although difficult. It's difficult everywhere, especially my country and even Spain. I tried Hong Kong too but no deal without a working visa. Thank you very much for the encouragement and for the visit...